Monday, February 21, 2011

Winter CSA 3 + 3 food observations

Oops, I've been negligent, and now we're about to get Winter CSA 4 on Wednesday. Better late than never though, right? Our latest CSA pickup includes (brackets indicate what we did with them):

sunchokes (roasted)
German butterball potatoes (mashed for the top of a veggie shepherd's pie)
orange heirloom squash with Japanese-sounding name I can't remember (lasagna)
eggs (french omelettes, inspired by Julia Child)
carrots (soup stock, bottom layer of aforementioned shepherd's pie)
radishes (I hate radishes, but Eddy ate one with some dip)
onions and garlic (everything and anything)
sweet potatoes (soup, shepherd's pie)
frozen snowpeas (still deciding... suggestions?)
banana pickles (haven't cracked 'em yet)

Foodservation #1: I really love a neatly cleaned squash. This one was destined to be cubed and roasted to become a layer in a lasagna which also included ricotta cheese and smoky cheesy mashed roasted yams.

Foodservation #2: I am currently obsessed with these gigantic honey crisp apples that I've been getting from the local organic grocer. This obsession is second only to my portmanteauing obsession. One apple is the size of 3 or 4 normal-sized apples, and they taste amazing - crisp, sweet, slightly tart - which is surprising for mutant-sized fruit, especially fruit that's been stored for months in the dead of winter. The picture below is after we've already eaten half the apple.

Foodservation #3: I made some vegan chocolate chunk ginger cookies tonight, as a thank-you-for-catsitting gift for our downstairs neighbours. Of course, I had to test a few to make sure they weren't poison. They weren't.

'Till Wednesday,
Dombot.

1 comment:

kat said...

In England they call shepherd's pie "cottage pie"